So, as a quick wrap up of the past few weeks...
-I came back to Portland on July 27th (our 3rd wedding anniversary!) after being in Sheffield for Grandma's funeral.
-Kyle did awesome work getting our house packed up and ready for our property management guy to get the house rented out. We were moved out of the house by the first week of August and we were staying with our friends Blake and Tricia on the other side of town.
-I had my last day of work on August 9th.
-We spent the remaining time in Portland repacking things to bring to Sheffield and got everything condensed down to three bags each. We also decided that we own too much junk.
-On August 20th, we boarded our first flight on our way to England!
Since we arrived in Sheffield (the town where we are living in Grandma's house, which is in Northern England and approximately 3 hours by car from London), we've been trying to get ourselves oriented. Our bags decided not to join us for the final leg of the trip, so we didn't have any unpacking to do for the first 24 hours. Instead, we slept at odd times, made fun of the goofy British TV commercials, and started familiarizing ourselves with the contents of the booze cabinet.
It is now Monday afternoon (we arrived Saturday afternoon), and we've unpacked most of our junk, become a bit more settled in the house, and wandered into town to do some grocery shopping. I still have some visa issues to sort out before finalizing the details of my employment, so we're just going to enjoy our time in a new place and make some preliminary travel plans. I'd like to explore more of Sheffield, take a weekend trip to London, and do a whiskey tour in Scotland. Our big travel plans will take shape shortly, but those are the short trips I'm scheming now.
Kyle seems to be adjusting reasonably well to life in Sheffield. (Since he's upstairs napping and I'm doing this post, I can talk about him all I want!). He's understandably irked by the bathing situation (only have a bath and a poorly set up shower at the moment) and by the wild carpet in the house (see picture), but seems excited for this adventure. He had two cups of tea today when we were visiting with our neighbor friends up the street! He seems happy that we can walk to so many places and is of course excited to tackle the giant project that is getting this house organized. And, he's here with his super-cool wife, so how could he not be happy?
We miss everyone in the US, but we are excited to have this opportunity to travel and learn. It's hard to be away from family and friends, but we're looking forward to creating new friendships here in Sheffield. I think that's it for now--keep in touch everyone!
Jillian
| The house keys with a shape that made Kyle giggle. |
| Our makeshift double bed--just pushed the two twin beds together! Please ignore Kyle napping in the far bed. |
| Me and the hydrangeas in the front garden. Please ignore floppy hair due to muggy weather! |
| Our haul from the first big shopping trip. I'm so glad Kyle carried the big backpack the way home! |
| A shot of the crazy carpet in the house. |
Hi Kyle and Jillian!
ReplyDeleteGreat blog post. So happy to see you're all doing well and getting adjusted. Let me know how it's going, okay? Love you and we're thinking about you guys!
Franki and Bill
that carpeting ROCKS!
ReplyDeletehave a wonderful time!
love from Oregon!
alaena
Love your carpet! Is Austin Powers nearby?
ReplyDeleteThe carpet gives me more insight to your organic family.
ReplyDeleteLove it!
Awesome! I'm going to add you to my blog's links list! woot! The carpet is awesome and I totally love the keys - SO euro! I kind of would love to hear about your mundane breakfast (does it involve delicious dairy products and toast?) and the results of the liquor cabinet search (will Kyle be drinking brandy by the end of this adventure?) How IS the laundry situation? You know I'm completely obsessed with these things! We all miss your vibe here already, but are glad you are doing such cool stuff! KR
ReplyDeleteLove the keys! I'm going with Kyle on this one... the carpet makes me dizzy... and it was just a picture! lol Give us a picture tour of the rest of the house! And I agree with Katie.... I want to hear about the mundane breakfasts... lunch and dinner as well! Take care!
ReplyDeleteJilly, looks like the trains are booked. Find me an inexpensive way to travel on Wednesday and I'll come see you.
ReplyDeleteOMG - welcome to the blogging world! Hopefully you'll be more vigilant about blogging than I've been lately! LOVE the pics - carpet is awesome! Can't wait to see progress and hear about your exciting times abroad. I hear one gains a new perspective on things once you've lived abroad. Hum...I wonder what? When you find out, let me know!
ReplyDeleteYou two are fantastic!! I think the carpet would give me a hangover, without drinking a drop!!! So glad you are doing a blog!!!!
ReplyDeleteI love the carpet! Can I have it?
ReplyDeleteJilly, we can't wait to hear about your adventure in the land where they talk funny English! Sounds like a great time!
ReplyDeleteUncle Jim
When Grandma and Grandma bought the house in 1973, they were startled by the carpet too. However, it was new and their thrifty souls wouldn't let them replace it so they decide to live with it until it "wore out". Meanwhile, they bought gold leather furniture to match the carpet and somehow replacement never rose to the top of the list.
ReplyDeleteLove, Mama
You will appreciate the colorful and cheerful carpet in the shorter, darker days of the UK winter! Next blog post: include a picture of the bathtub....
ReplyDeletegood to know we'll have a way to keep up with your adventures! Can't wait to see what you guys see and do.
ReplyDeletelove you guys
- Rebecca
Hi Jillian,
ReplyDeleteI love this blog. It's so great to be able to see and hear about the wonderful time you're having. Both you and Kyle sound like you're having a ball.....crazy carpet included!
One thing of concern, however; I didn't see any Jaffa Cakes or Branston Pickle in your groceries!....what on earth were you thinking? These are 2 of the most benefical reasons to be in the UK! ;-)
Scott